Bike Tips: Bike to Work When It's Wet Tips
Here are some simple tips when riding in the rain (courtesy of Vancouver B2WW)
- Fenders – get your local bike store to install them. Simple and affordable.
- Stay warm and dry. Try waterproof pants, jacket and gloves (or a dollar store poncho/rain cape), a head cozy and/or hood under your helmet, ear warmers, waterproof shoe covers (plastic bags will do in a pinch).
- Layer – avoid cotton next to your skin, try quick drying, insulating fabrics like polypropolene, silk or wool.
- Find a place to hang your wet clothes at work so they will be dry when you go home.
- Be visible – reflectors, vests and lights, lights, lights! LED lights are bright and last a long time. Small turtle or blinkie lights are cheap and easy to clip on/off.
- Use waterproof panniers (or line your regular ones with plastic bags).
- Stainless steel coffee thermos – for a warm drink on a longer ride!